When you have back pain in standing and with walking, it’s difficult to live your life and enjoy getting your errands done. When we stand up straight, it’s common for us to arch our lower back and sometimes lean backwards. This causes the spaces in our spine or back to be the narrowest, which can put pressure on everything that is around our spine (nerves, blood vessels, discs, muscles and more).
So, let’s talk about some ways that you can help your back when you have to stand or walk. Life does not stop just because we are hurting and all the things that must get done each week must still be completed!
- 1When you are standing, bend your knees slightly. This will help to take your back and pelvis and put it in a more neutral position. Try it and see how it feels!
- 2When you are standing and walking, think about contracting your lower abdominals. Find those transversus abdominals (the muscles on the insides of your hip bones) so that they can help to support your lower back. I always explain to my patients that when we contract these lower abdominals, it causes our back muscles to contract as well. This allows us to use muscles all around the body to support our spine before we move and reach for things.
- 3When you are washing dishes in the kitchen and your back is aching, open the cabinet that is right below your sink and put your foot on the bottom of the cabinet. This will help your pelvis go into a more neutral position and take some pressure off your back.
- 4If you are walking and your back pain is worsening, try taking smaller strides or steps so that you do not cause too much stress on the lower back.
- 5If you are lying down flat to relieve your back pain, bend your knees and put a bolster or pillow under them. This will help your back get into a more neutral alignment and allow you to rest easy at night without your back screaming in pain.
All these tips will help you to manage everything that you are feeling and reduce the aches and pains each day.
But if you want to make the BEST change in your back pain and your life, start your journey with us at Breakaway Physical Therapy! Call us to talk to one of our back-pain specialists so that we can help you understand what is going on with your body and what you can do to make a change today!
Can’t wait to help you enjoy walking through Target and the grocery store again…even if you have to wear a mask right now😊